Travel Reimbursement Overview

As of January 1, 2009, employees requesting approval for travel will receive an email stating whether or not their travel request has been approved. (Note: No hardcopies of travel request documentation will be returned to you as in the past, so if you need a copy please make it prior to sending to the Business Services office for approval.) However, if the travel request is denied due to an error, all documentation will be returned to the employee to be corrected. The following items are now required when preparing documentation for travel reimbursement:

  • Print out from Google or MapQuest that map out your travel destination.
  • As of April 17, 2012, Tier 1 mileage reimbursement is $ 0.555 subject to change per State Accounting Office (SAO). Reminder, in order to receive this amount a vehicle reservation form will be required from Public Safety stating no DSC vehicle was available.
  • As of April 17, 2012, Tier 2 mileage reimbursement is $0.23.
  • All travel request forms should continue to be handled as in the past using the travel request forms from the Business Services-Office of Accounting & Budgets website. • An agenda and registration form is required for all travel.
  • A boarding pass is needed for all air travel.
  • If a personal vehicle is being used, include car tag number in the description field when claiming mileage.
  • Remember that everyday commute miles must be included on your travel reimbursement whenever a personal vehicle is used. This does not include travel in which the employee is traveling on the weekend.
  • Attach a signed and dated copy of the expense report along with any required receipts. Instructions on how to print an expense report is located on the Business Services-Office of Accounting & Budgets website.
  • Rental of Motor Vehicle: Employees traveling on state business in a rented motor vehicle are covered by the state’s liability policy. Therefore, liability coverage should be declined when renting a motor vehicle, since Loss Damage Waiver/Collision Damage Waiver (LDW/CDW) insurance is included in the statewide contract at no additional cost. For additional info, review the Rental of Motor Vehicle section.
  • Travel Expense Receipt Requirements: Employees must submit receipts for the following expenses regardless of the amount: gasoline purchased for rental vehicle; parking; toll fees; mass transit fares; taxi fares; and airport van/shuttle fares.
    Note: If an employee does not have a receipt for one of the above items (other than per diem meals), the employee must include an explanation of the expense on their expense report as well as complete the DSC Missing Receipt Documentation form, which can be found under “Travel Forms”.
  • When booking hotel/motel, an employee should identify themselves as a state employee to receive the government rate, if applicable. Upon arrival at the hotel/motel, employees should provide proper identification to document their employment as a state or local government employee. In the state of Georgia, employees should provide a hotel/motel tax-exemption form when they register. All employees are responsible for printing and completing their own hotel/motel tax exemption form. The form is located on the Business Services-Office of Accounting & Budget website If the hotel refuses to accept the hotel/motel tax-exemption form at check-in, the employee should attempt to resolve the issue with hotel management before checking out at the end of their stay. Employees should also review hotel/motel receipts prior to leaving the premises to ensure that taxes have been applied correctly to their lodging expenses in accordance with the state tax laws and regulations and resolve any potential problems and overcharges. If the matter is not resolved by the time the employee checks out, the employee should pay the tax. The employee should explain the payment of the tax as an unusual expense on their travel reimbursement (expense report).
    • The Georgia Department of Natural Resources has developed a program to identify and certify lodging properties that are taking significant steps to reduce their demands on Georgia’s natural resources and acting as good corporate citizens. These certified “Green Hotels” meet a stringent standard for environmental stewardship and operational efficiency. By using less toxic cleaning and maintenance chemicals, these hotels provide healthier conditions for guest and employees. When traveling on state business and hosting meetings, state employees are encouraged to explore opportunities to support these properties where cost-competitive. The current list of certified properties is available at:

As a reminder, all travel related forms can be found on the Fiscal Affairs/Business Services/Office of Accounting & Budget website under forms

All travel is handled by Teresa James (ext. 2547) and Pam Lane (ext. 2565). If you have any questions contact either of these individuals.

Dalton State, 650 College Drive, Dalton, GA 30720
706.272.4436 • 1.800.829.4436 •