Travel Reimbursement
Updates and Reminders
  • First time expense user: Employee will need to self-register before being able to create a travel reimbursement. Instructions on how to Self-Register for Expenses is located on the Office of Accounting & Budgets website.
  • Prior to an employee making air transportation arrangements, they should view the Board of Regents policy, which can be found on the Dalton State Business Services Travel website.
  • Anyone requesting “travel related” reimbursement for a non-employee must use the Travel Expense Statement form (i.e. students, candidates, etc.). For more details, please review the Reimbursement for Non-Employee under the travel section.
  • Anyone requesting “non-travel related” reimbursement for a non-employee must use the Requisition form. (i.e. accreditation guest, etc.)
  • If a change in an employee’s banking information (i.e. routing and/or account number) occurs; the employee is responsibility for notifying the Office of Accounting & Budget so the information can be updated in the Expense module.
  • If a personal vehicle is being used, include your car tag number in the description field when claiming mileage.
  • Remember that everyday commute miles must be included on your travel reimbursement whenever a personal vehicle is used. This does not include travel in which the employee is traveling on the weekend.
  • Review the “Rental of Motor Vehicle” section.
  • When booking hotel/motel, an employee should identify themselves as a state employee to receive the government rate, if applicable.  Employees should provide proper identification to document their employment as a state or local government employee when they check in at the hotel/motel.
  • In the state of Georgia, employees should provide a hotel/motel tax-exemption form when they register. All employees are responsible for printing and completing their own hotel/motel tax exemption form. The form is located on the Office of Accounting & Budget website If the hotel refuses to accept the hotel/motel tax-exemption form at check-in, the employee should attempt to resolve the issue with hotel management before checking out at the end of their stay. Employees should also review hotel/motel receipts prior to leaving the premises to ensure that taxes have been applied correctly to their lodging expenses in accordance with the state tax laws and regulations and resolve any potential problems and overcharges. If the matter is not resolved by the time the employee checks out, the employee should pay the tax. The employee should explain the payment of the tax as an unusual expense on their travel reimbursement (expense report).

As a reminder, all travel related forms can be found on the Office of Accounting & Budget website under forms

Lastly, all travel is now handled by Teresa James (ext. 2547) and Pam Lane (ext. 2565). If you have any questions contact either of these individuals.

Dalton State, 650 College Drive, Dalton, GA 30720
706.272.4436 • 1.800.829.4436 •