Quiz #1 Summer 2006 Chemistry Worth 24 points, graded out of 20.
1. What #, listed above each element on the periodic table, defines the element? Or what does the number above each element represent?
Atomic number or number of protons.
2. If two atoms with different electronegativity (like C and N) form a covalent bond, the bond will be
3. "A region of space around the nucleus that can hold up to (as many as) two electrons" is called a(n)
4. The most abundant molecule in the body is what?
5. What does it mean to be an acid, or what does an acid do?
Increases proton concentrations/proton donor/lowers the pH
6. The basic molecules of the cell membrane are
Phospholipids (in a bilayer)
7. The electrons in the outer shell are called ____________ electrons.
8. Name a steroid.
Cholesterol, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, vitamin D, hydrocortisone, etc.
9. The building blocks of proteins are
10. Most organic molecules are put together (built) by what process?
11. The modified nucleotide we use for energy in the body is
12. In RNA, _____________ matches up with adenine.