The department of International Student Enrollment assists students who need to change their current status to F-1. Even though Dalton State will assist with the change of status, it is the student’s responsibility to insure that any petition for change of status is complete, accurate, and timely. You are advised to apply 90 days prior to your status expiring.
Please note: Dalton State will not assist students with a change of status from B1/B2 status to F-1 status in the United States.
For students in B1/B2 status, we will (upon completion of requirements for admission) issue an “initial attendance” I-20 for the student to leave the US, obtain an F-1 visa at a US consular post overseas, and re-enter the US in F-1 status.
In general, the following requirements exist for a Change of Status:
- Full admission to an academic program at Dalton State College Valid current non-immigrant status
- Successful compilation of the requirements for a change of status
- A written statement explaining the reason why a change of status is being requested
- A check or money order in the amount of $ 300.00, payable to “US Department of Homeland Security”
- A copy of the student’s passport main ID (biographical) page and current visa
- The student’s original I-94 card (for copying purposes only)
- Current financial documentation (originals, no photocopies or faxes) showing at least $ 25,000.00 available to the student or student’s sponsor, and
- For students with US citizen or Permanent Residents as sponsor, a completed and notarized I-134 Affidavit of Support
- For students with non-US citizen or non-Permanent Residents as sponsor, a completed Dalton State College Financial Certificate
- SEVIS Fee of $100 paid to the Department of Homeland Security. Information and instructions regarding the SEVIS fee are available at www.fmjfee.com
- If the applicant is a dependent, a copy of the primary status holder’s I-94 and passport main page are also required. If the primary status holder is in F-1 status a copy of his/her I-20 is required.