F-1 Travel Inside and Outside the United States

International Students in F-1 status are advised to carry their passport, I-20, and I-94 even when traveling within the borders of the United States.

F-1 Travel Outside the United States:
International students in F-1 visa status who plan to travel outside the United States are required to be “signed out” by International Student Enrollment before departing from the United States. This means you must visit our office and inform us of your departure and return travel plans.

In general, F-1 students who travel outside the United States are advised to have the following documents to re-enter:

  • Valid form I-20, with a Designated School Official’s (DSO) signature on page 3 of the I-20 to endorse international travel. The DSO’s signature should be less than 6 months old at the time of travel.
  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1 (student) visa

If you do not have a valid F-1 visa, you will need to apply for one at the United States Embassy in your country while you are visiting. Please be aware that U.S. Consular offices require current financial support documents when you apply for a student visa.

Dalton State, 650 College Drive, Dalton, GA 30720
706.272.4436 • 1.800.829.4436 • www.daltonstate.edu