The Derrell C. Roberts Library of Dalton Sate College seeks to avoid violation of copyright laws by adhering to guidelines developed by CONTU, the Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works.
These restrictions limit interlibrary loan (ILL) requests of periodical articles to five requests per title, per calendar year, from any issues within the current five-year period and only one article per issue may be requested. When the total requests for a particular title exceed five, then the purchase of that title by the Library should be considered.
To comply with national and state interlibrary codes, requests for interlibrary loans follow the protocol for lending institution as established by the National Interlibrary Loan Code adopted by the American Library Association in 2001, the Georgia Interlibrary Loan Code adopted by the Georgia Library Association in 2002, and the GIL Interlibrary Loan Policies and Procedures adopted by the Georgia University System libraries in 2010.
ILL is not an alternative to collection development for any area of the Roberts Library.
In order to provide expeditious ILL service, these guidelines apply:
- ILL service is available only to current faculty, staff, and students of Dalton State College. Non-Dalton State College users, including those with library issued community patron cards or students with recreational reading requests, should contact their local public library for interlibrary loan service.
- Students are limited to six course-related requests at any one time, whether pending or currently in use. Priority will be given to course related requests.
- Most libraries in Georgia provide materials free of charge. However, some do not and others outside of Georgia charge to lend. Any charges for borrowing must be paid by the person requesting the loan; the form has a place to indicate willingness to pay for a request. Once a request is made, any incurred charges must be paid. The requestor must pay for any other charges, such as overdues, loss, or damage.
- Requests for interlibrary loans are to comply with the above stated national and state guidelines.
- As interlibrary loan is a privilege extended by the lending institution, that institution's restrictions on use are to be followed (such as when a book on loan may not be taken out of the Roberts Library). Any violation of these restrictions placed upon the Roberts Library will be cause for cancellation of the remaining loan period, and the immediate return of the material.
- Renewal requests for materials received through interlibrary loan should be made prior to the return date stated on the wrapper of the loaned material. Renewals may not be made when the lending library has specifically prohibited this option. Any item recalled from a lending library must be returned to the Roberts Library immediately.
- The continuing violation of ILL privileges by any individual will be cause for restriction of their use of the service. The Library Director will handle such matters.
Revised April 18, 2005
Originally approved by the DSC Library Committee, March 17, 2003