Secure Immediate Area
- Lock and barricade doors
- Turn off lights
- Close blinds
- Block windows
- Turn off radios and computer monitors
- Keep occupants calm, quiet, and out of sight
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover/protection i.e., behind concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets (cover may protect you from bullets).
Un-Securing An Area
- Consider risks before un-securing rooms
- Remember, the shooter will not stop until they are engaged by outside force.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be accomplished without further endangering the persons inside a secured area.
- Consider the safety of masses –vs- the safety of a few
- If doubt exists for the safety of the individuals inside the room, the area should remain secured.
- Use Emergency number 4461 from all campus phones
- Use 706-272-4461 from all non-campus phones, including cell phones.
What to report
- Your specific location- building name and office/room number
- Number of people at your location
- Injuries- number of injured, types of injuries
- Assailant(s)- location, number of suspects, gender/race, clothing description, physical features, type of weapon(s) (long gun or hard gun), backpack, shooters identity is known, separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
- Objective is to immediately engage assailant(s)
- Evacuate victims
- Facilitate follow-up medical care, interviews, counseling