Personal Safety Tips
- Immediately report suspicious activity, criminal incidents, or other emergencies.
- Walk with others.
- Always lock the door to your residence and any ground level windows
- Never volunteer information over the phone to a stranger.
- Report lost or stolen ID cards to the Public Safety Department (706-272-4461)
- Never give out your personal identification number (PIN).
- Use a good locking device to secure your bicycle.
- When using campus lockers always use a lock to secure your items!
- Don’t hitchhike.
- Know how to use the “Call Trace” systems for harassing or obscene phone calls.
- Place your name or an identifiable mark in your textbooks.
- Refrain from propping or disabling locking mechanisms on doors or entrances.
- Remove as many opportunities for crime to occur as possible.
Additional Tips for Off-Campus and Dormitories
- Be sure all outdoor lighting fixtures on your apartment are working.
- Place items of value out of sight and in locked areas.
- Determine who is on the other side of the door before opening it.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Public Safety Department (706-272-4461)
- Be sure you have blinds or curtains on your windows to discourage window peepers.
- Keep your doors locked at all times, even if you are leaving for a short time.
- Protect your car by using common sense and taking precautions. Follow these simple guidelines to reduce the chance of your car being burglarized:
- Park in well lit areas, near other cars.
- Keep valuables out of sight, preferably locked in trunk.
- When parking your car, turn the front wheels to the left or to the right and put the emergency brake on.