Fact & Opinion Practice 1: Answer Key
Determine whether the following sentences are facts,
opinions, or a mixture of fact and opinions.
Then, check your answers against the key.
1. Marijuana should be legalized to reduce the effects of the current economic crisis. Opinion.
2. The death penalty should be abolished because it’s just too expensive. Opinion.
3. A California lawmaker Monday introduced legislation that would legalize (and tax) pot there. Fact
4. Last year, in an effort to cut costs, probation and parole
agencies in Arizona, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey,
and Vermont sadly reduced or dropped prison time for thousands of offenders who foolishly violated conditions of their release.
BOTH, "foolishly" and "sadly" are opinions. The other information can be verified.
5. President Barack Obama said Tuesday night that the country must now act “boldly and wisely” to take charge of its future. Fact
6. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Opinion
7. All opinions are equally relevant. Opinion
8. Bruce Springsteen wrote "Thunder Road," a classic song of escape. Both ("classic" is a value judgment, an opinion)
9. My car, which has only 10,000 miles on the odometer, will
last another six years.
Both (the odometer reading is a fact; predictions into the future are opinions.)
10. A city in beautiful north Florida, Tallahassee is the state's capital. Both
Return to List of Exercises
Return to Writing Lab Home Page