Inaugural Giving Day Big Success
Nearly $200,000 was raised from 400 donors on Dalton State’s first-ever giving day on Tuesday.
“We are thrilled with the level of enthusiasm and support we received from so many alumni, employees and friends in the Roadrunner community,” said David Elrod, director of the Dalton State Foundation. “Four hundred donors made 424 gifts totaling $197,967 to 46 different funds, including our nine Giving Day projects.
“Every one of these gifts represents a donor’s belief that higher education can and does change lives,” he said. “We are honored that so many donors believe that Dalton State can and does deliver on that promise. Our gratitude goes to every one of these donors who participated and whose gifts will have immediate impacts on our students and academic and athletic programs.”
The average gift from donors on Giving Day was $467, and gifts came from 17 states, as well as one donor from Great Britain.
“We appreciate all the support with our inaugural Giving Day,” said Dr. Margaret Venable, president of Dalton State. “These gifts will directly impact the lives of our students. We rely on support from others to produce the future leaders for this community, state and country. Most of our students graduate with little or no student loan debt, and your gifts help make this possible.”
Some of the Giving Day projects exceeded their goal, including the School of Arts and Sciences biopsychology lab and the Wright School of Business’ technology fund. The Pete Gunn Memorial Scholarship Endowment Fund, named for the late chief of the Whitfield County Fire Department and an Air Force veteran, has successfully been endowed thanks to Giving Day.
More than 250 gifts totaling $73,859 were given to the nine Giving Day projects, which include:
- Pete Gunn Memorial Scholarship Endowment Fund, 23 gifts totaling $34,860.
- School of Arts and Sciences Biopsychology Lab, 68 gifts totaling $11,280.
- Athletics General Scholarship Fund, 10 gifts totaling $10,625.
- Wright School of Business Technology Fund, 30 gifts totaling $7,925.
- Roadrunner Student Emergency Fund, 28 gifts totaling $5,025.
- Society ’63 Alumni Association, 87 gifts totaling $2,164.
- School of Health Professions Technology Fund, 16 gifts totaling $1,680.
- Spence Higgins Memorial Scholarship Fund, three gifts totaling $150.
- School of Education Virtual Teaching and Coaching Experiences Fund, two gifts totaling $150.
- Other areas, 157 gifts totaling $124,108.