International Student Admissions
FOR ADMISSION TO A DEGREE LEVEL PROGRAM AT DALTON STATE COLLEGE, THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE REQUIRED:
Study in the States
Dalton State College Application for Admission
$50.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee
Proof of English Language Proficiency
A Copy of the Student’s SAT Scores
Proof of Immunizations
Official Translated and Evaluated High School and College Transcripts
All non-native speakers of English must prove English proficiency by providing one of the following six items:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) official score report with an average minimum score of 6. To request IELTS scores, applicants must contact the IELTS Testing Center where they took the exam
- TEST of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) official score report with a minimum score of 523 on the paper-based TOEFL, 193 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 69 on the Internet-based TOEFL. Scores must be official and must be dated within two years of intended date of enrollment
- Official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores with a minimum score of 450 critical reading and 450 writing; or official American College Testing Program (ACT) scores with a minimum of 19 English [Dalton State College Academic Affairs Handbook: section 3.01-3.12]
- Four units of College Prep English from an accredited U.S. high school
- Proof of 30 semester (or 45 quarter) transferable hours with a 2.5 GPA, including the equivalents of English 101 and 102 (or ENGL 1101/1102) from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
- Proof of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university
Federal government regulations require us to collect proof that F-1 students have the financial means necessary to live and study in the United States.
Applicants must show how they intend to pay expenses while attending Dalton State College. To do so, submit a current bank statement certifying that you have financial resources equivalent to a minimum of $25,000 in U.S. funds available for the first year of study at Dalton State College. Bank statements must be in English, on bank letterhead and in U.S. dollars. They must be less than six months old.
ALL BANK DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINALS! We will not accept any photocopies or faxes.
If the applicant’s sponsor is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States,he/she must fill out INS form I-134 Affidavit of Support Form. The I-134 must also have a copy of the last income tax returned filed attached.
1. Is less than 6 months old.
2. Clearly states the account holder's name.
3. Is written in English.
4. Clearly states the account balance U.S. dollars, or clearly states the type of currency upon which the account is based.
5. A letter from the sponsor stating their intention to be responsible for the International students expenses must accompany the bank statement. The letter must include both the student and sponsor’s names.
Non-Resident Alien Tax Reporting
All non-resident alien students are subject to have tax withheld on scholarships/grants that are in excess of the cost of tuition and mandatory fees. Taxes are withheld at the beginning of each semester or at the time a scholarship/grant is received creating an excess. Withholdings are reported yearly on the form 1042-S. For additional information regarding withholdings and income tax please see IRS Publication 519.
Please contact the Bursar Office for additional information.
The registration booklet for the SAT-I may be ordered from:
College Board ATP
Princeton, NJ 08451-6200 USA
Be sure to specify that you need the “international edition.”
All international, degree-seeking applicants must have:
an SAT Verbal/Critical Reading score of at least 450
an SAT Math score of at least 500
a Freshman Index of 1830, calculated as follows: Academic High School GPA x 500 + SAT Verbal/Critical Reading + SAT Math.
According to the policies of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, applicants who have not previously attended Dalton State College must submit proof of all required immunizations certified by a health official. The Board of Regents and the Division of Public Health of the Georgia Department of Human Resources developed the requirements . ADalton State College Certificate of Immunization must be completed and signed by a health care professional. Pages 5 and 6 of this document: /admission/pdf/international-student-application.pdf, must be completed and must accompany all immunization documents.
Have transcripts from all high schools and/or all colleges or universities attended sent directly to Dalton State and have all original, official transcripts evaluated and translated by an external reputable credentials evaluator.
Evaluation/translation is not necessary for schools located in the U.S. High school transcripts must be evaluated “by the document,” and college transcripts must be evaluated “course-by-course.” The evaluation process can take 2-6 weeks and there will be a cost involved. Remember: the transcripts sent to a credentials evaluator are in addition to transcripts that must be sent to our office. Please note that it is your responsibility to contact and communicate with the evaluator. An approved list of evaluators is located in the right hand column at the top of this page.
International Student Forms
Affidavit of Support Form 1-134
Transfer Clearance Form
(to transfer from another school to Dalton State)
Transfer Out Request Form
(to transfer from Dalton State to another school)
Request for CPT Form
(Curricular Practical Training)
Request for OPT Form
(Optional Practical Training)
Approved Transcript Evaluators
Academic Credential Evaluation Institute, Inc.
PO Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
PO Box 407
Auburn, AL 36831-0407
Education Credential Evaluators, Inc.
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231
Joseph Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 AVE
Miami, FL 33713
World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
PO Box 4087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212.996.6311 or 800.937.3895