College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP is a form of credit-by-examination. CLEP exams measure the competencies or skills equivalent to those required for the completion of college-level courses. Check your institution’s credit-by-exam policy before taking a CLEP exam.
The following policies govern credit-by-examination at Dalton State:
- Credit is awarded only to students admitted to the College and is officially recorded only for those who enroll for credit courses.
- Credit-by-examination is awarded only for courses offered by the College.
- A student may not take a proficiency examination if
the student has previously enrolled in the course, or
the student is currently enrolled in the course.
- Credit is not awarded if a comparable course has been completed at the College. Conversely, previously awarded credit-by-examination is forfeited by completing a comparable course at the College.
- Credit-by-examination is an award of semester credit hours but carries no letter grade or quality points.
- A student may take the proficiency examination for a course only once.
Click here to read Dalton State's full credit-by-exam policy.
What courses will Dalton State give me credit for?
|CLEP Test||Dalton State Credit||Dalton State Minimum Passing Score||Credit Hours Awarded|
|College Composition w/Essay||ENGL 1101||50 w/ passing Essay||3|
|English Literature||ENGL 2120||55||3|
|American Literature||ENGL 2131||55||3|
|FREN 1002, 2001,2002||65||9|
|SPAN 1002, 2001, 2002||65||9|
|Biology||BIOL 1107, 1108||50||8|
|Western Civilization I||HIST 1111||50||3|
|Western Civilization II||HIST 1112||50||3|
|History of the United States I||HIST 2111||50*||3|
|History of the United States II||HIST 2112||50*||3|
|American Government||POLS 1101||50*||3|
|Introduction to Psychology||PSYC 1101||50||3|
|Human Growth & Development||PSYC 2103||50||3|
|Introduction to Sociology||SOCI 1101||50||3|
*Students receiving CLEP for American Government and /or History of the United States must validate proficiency of legislative requirements by passing an exemption exam. A passing score on the CLEP examinations in American Government and History of the United States I and II does not include credit for the student's having satisfied the Georgia history requirement or the Georgia constitution requirement.
Modern States provides a series of free online CLEP preparation courses. Courses are taught and delivered online via the Modern States website. All Modern States CLEP preparation courses are free.
What do I bring to the Testing Center?
- A government ID
- Test Ticket issued by CollegeBoard
Where do I pay the fees?
There are two fees associated with the CLEP exam: an $89.00 exam fee and a $28.50 proctor fee.
The $89.00 exam fee is paid to CollegeBoard prior to scheduling to take your exam in the Testing Center. You must visit the CollegeBoard webiste and create an account in order to purchase a CLEP exam.
The $28.50 proctor fee is paid on the Dalton State Testing Center website when you schedule to take your CLEP exam.
The $28.50 proctor fee is nonrefundable. Please arrive at least 15 before your scheduled appointment time in order to complete the check in process.
To schedule an appointment with the Testing Center at the main Dalton State campus, follow the steps below:
- Visit the Testing Center website.
- Select "Schedule an exam"
- Select "Other" in group 1.
- Select “CLEP” in group 2.
- Select the CLEP exam you will be taking in group 3.
- Select a date and time.
- Proceed to pay the proctor fee and confirm.