Dalton State has earned the StormReady designation from the National Weather Service for its preparedness for natural disasters, such as tornadoes and winter weather, in an ongoing effort to ensure the safety of all Roadrunners.
The National Weather Services names communities, hospitals, colleges, military bases and other sites StormReady based on the following criteria:
- An established 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center
- More than one way to receive severe weather warnings and forecasts and to alert the public
- A system that monitors weather conditions locally
- Promotion of the importance of public readiness through community seminars
- A formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.
Dalton State provides the campus with training on severe weather, a plan for what to do in case of severe weather and an emergency notification system, Roadrunner Alert. Emergency personnel on campus work closely with Whitfield County Emergency Management to monitor and plan for weather events.
Dalton State is now one of 13 institutions in Georgia to receive the designation.
posted 01/02/2020 in Uncategorized
No comments have been posted.
HTML not allowed, max characters 255, * denotes required field.