Do you need a Doctor's Release before beginning personal training?
Yes, if you meet 2 or more of the following, a doctor's release will be required before a personal training or orientation appointment can be set. This is recommend by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) before engaging in vigorous exercise:
- You're a man older than age 45 or a woman older than age 55.
- You have a family history of heart disease before age 55.
- You smoke or you quit smoking in the past six months.
- You haven't exercised for three months or more.
- You're overweight or obese.
- You have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- You have impaired glucose tolerance, also called pre-diabetes.
If you are unsure of your health status, have multiple health problems or are pregnant, speak with your doctor before starting a new exercise program. A doctor's release is required for pregnant women.
Personal training involves a personal trainer designing a workout specific to your goals and going through this workout with you. Typically, personal training is a continuous process (multiple sessions) to keep you progressing with your workouts in order to achieve your goal or goals.
Who can benefit from personal training?
- A person who is new to working out.
- A person who needs structure to their workouts.
- A person who has very specific goals such as preparing for a road race, competition, etc.
- A person who has injuries present or past or health issues that require a specific type of workout.
- A person who has experience in working out, is comfortable with machines and free weights, but either has been away from working out or is needing a change to their current workout.
- A person ready to experiment with different workout routines and equipment.
How do I sign-up for personal training?
- Pick-up a personal training packet at the Bandy Gym fitness center.
- Return the completed packet to Anne Loughren's tray outside her office door located in the fitness center.
- Anne will email you an appointment day and time via your DSC email. You must confirm this appointment within 48 hours.
For appointments or questions, email Anne Loughren.
Assistant Director of Fitness
AFAA personal trainer and yoga instructor.