How do I file a report of an alleged code of conduct violation?

Incidents of alleged violations of the Code of Conduct are reported via one of the following links. For individuals filing a report, a meeting can be arranged, if requested, with the Conduct Administrator to discuss the conduct process.

How might a student violate the code of conduct?

All conduct regulations are provided in the Code of Conduct. Examples of behaviors that could violate the Code of Conduct include possession of alcohol on campus, driving under the influence, disruptive conduct, distribution of copyrighted material, assault, theft, gambling, and interfering with the conduct process.

Where is student conduct located?

Student Conduct is located in the Dean of Students Suite in the Pope Student Center.

How are incidents reported to the office of student conduct?

Student Conduct receives complaints and referrals from various members of the Dalton State College community via the following reporting links.

I received a letter from student conduct. What do I do now?

If you receive a letter from Student Conduct, and are unclear about the information given, contact the Assistant Director for Student Conduct at 706-272-2999 by the stated deadline to avoid having a hold placed on your student records.

What do I need to do to prepare for my meeting?

Before your meeting, you should review the Code of Conduct and the conduct process.

What will happen during the meeting with my conduct officer?

During the meeting, the conduct officer will review the Code of Conduct, discuss the conduct process including how we receive reports and resolution options, and provide you an opportunity to share additional information regarding the incident. If the conduct officer has enough information to move forward with the case, the student has the option of resolving through the administrative or conduct board process.

What is the difference between an administrative hearing and a conduct board hearing?

An administrative hearing occurs when the student takes responsibility for the alleged violations and agrees to the sanctions proposed by the conduct officer. A conduct board hearing occurs when the student disputes the alleged charges and/or proposed sanctions and wants to have the alleged violations decided by three to five panel members consisting of students, faculty, and staff.

Do I need to have an attorney?

Student Conduct facilitates an educational process that is separate from a legal process. It is not necessary for a student to have an attorney present during meetings with a conduct officer, but an attorney may attend conduct meetings with the expressed permission of the student.

What types of sanctions are there?

Examples of sanctions outlined in the Code of Conduct include probation, reprimand, restitution, community service, housing restrictions, educational sanctions (papers, letters of apology, and/or alcohol education), suspension and expulsion. This list is not exhaustive, and sanctions are assigned to meet the specific circumstances of a given situation.

I can’t register for classes because there is a hold on my account. What does that mean?

If a hold has been placed on your account by Student Conduct, it typically means that you have not attended your meeting with your conduct officer or completed your sanctions by the stated deadline. Call your conduct officer at 706-272-2999 for further clarification.

How can I appeal?

Appeal information can be found here

Will anything be noted on my record?

Any violation of the Code of Conduct is noted on the student’s conduct record. The conduct record is a separate record from the academic record; violations are not noted on a student’s transcript or diploma. However, many graduate or professional schools and some employers may request a copy of the conduct record (see “Will anyone ever request to see my conduct record?” below).

Will anyone ever request to see my conduct record?

Student Conduct processes Dean’s Certification requests which are required of some professional schools (law, medicine, pharmacy, etc), graduate schools, undergraduate schools for transferring students, and/or other academic programs such as study abroad.

Will you notify my parents if I am found in violation of regulations of the code of conduct?

Student Conduct may notify your guardians if you are found to have violated the Code of Conduct policies on the use or possession of alcohol or other drugs while under the age of 21. We do not notify guardians of any other violations nor do we send out police reports.

If I’m off probation, but receive another violation, am I automatically suspended?

If we receive a report and your conduct officer feels that there is enough information to move forward, suspension is dependent on the discretion of the conduct officer or hearing panel based on the incident and on any applicable probationary terms.

I’m suspended from DSC for code of conduct violations. What do I need to do prior to returning?

If you are unclear regarding the terms of your suspension, you will need to contact Student Conduct at 706-272-2999 to schedule a meeting with your conduct officer to discuss your return as well as completion of your sanctions.