The C. Lamar and Ann Wright School of Business at Dalton State College offers undergraduate business programs to serve a diverse student population in Northwest Georgia and beyond to positively contribute to our community and to prepare leaders to reach their full potential. Our mission is to provide innovative educational opportunities and create high quality professionals with skills desired by employers.
We strive to continuously enhance our reputation as a valued partner to regional industry and our community with academically respected, student-oriented studies in business as an integral part of an inclusive and diverse campus.
- Responsible citizenship: We believe in making positive contributions to the area, its businesses, and the local community.
- Ethics: We believe in working in a manner that adheres to the highest ethical norms of society, both in business and in local communities.
- Diversity and inclusion: We encourage multi-cultural and international learning and experiences to develop an appreciation for inclusiveness and social integration.
- Innovation and adaptation: We believe in continuous improvement and strive to develop new approaches and to enhance existing processes to meet changing market conditions.
- Engagement: We believe in effective engagement with the business and civic communities; locally, regionally, and globally.
- Improve student awareness of the global environment and business issues by increasing participation in study abroad, internships, and student activities.
- Encourage innovative instructional practices to improve student engagement and course learning outcomes.
- Review and update curriculum and degree offerings as evidenced by market demand.
- Promote faculty-initiated research with a balanced contribution to practice and pedagogy.
- Create, promote and disseminate research to people in the local economic area.
- Gauge the effectiveness of lower level business classes to promote continuous improvement.
- Endorse development and engagement of professional and support staff.
- Address the specific needs of students traditionally underserved, including Military, Hispanic, and first-generation college student populations.
BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAM GOALS
BBA Learning Objectives – observable actions of our students that demonstrate achievement of the following learning goals:
- Strategic knowledge of business conditions
- Business students will demonstrate a basic knowledge of all business as well as competencies within the functional areas of business (covered in MNGT 4701 Strategic Management)
- Business students will make appropriate strategic business decisions (covered in MNGT 4701 Strategic Management)
- Oral – Business students will deliver a professional oral business presentation (covered in BUSA 3301 Business Communications)
- Written – Business students will author a professional business letter or memorandum (covered in BUSA 3301 Business Communications)
- Technology and Decision Making
- Business students will demonstrate the ability to effectively use information, technology, and software (covered in BUSA 2201 Fundamental of Computer Applications)
- Business students will use technology to solve and interpret a quantitative business problem (covered in BUSA 2050 Business Statistics)