Student Government Association
The Student Government Association, typically referred to as the SGA, is made up of diverse student representation from the student body and two faculty representatives who are appointed annually. The SGA is tasked:
- To accept and discuss matters of interest and concern presented to them from either the Student Body and/or by various student organizations on campus.
- To determine the Student Life budget and other budgets funded by student fees (e.g., DS Athletics, the DS OneCard Fee, the Campus Recreation Fee, and the Technology Fee)
- To charter student organizations to the Dalton State College campus.
- To establish policy, as needed, relative to student life and the student body.
- To sit on and/or speak on behalf of the student body on various campus-wide committees (e.g. The Academic Affairs/Programs Committee, The Diversity Committee, The Traffic Appeals Committee, etc.)
All functions listed above are subject to the approval of the President of Dalton State. The Student Government Association shall consist of the entire student body; however, voting rights are limited to the SGA Executive Board, the elected SGA Student Senators, the SGA Cabinet, and the two Faculty Members Representatives.
Student Life Budget and Fees
- Student Life Fees must be used in accordance with State, University System, and Dalton State policies.
- The function of the organization and/or department should be in accordance with the mission of Dalton State.
- The organization and/or department must provide programs or services that benefit the student body.
- Applicants should demonstrate campus/community involvement.
- Student organizations requesting funding must be registered with the Office of Student Life prior to their request.
- Student Life Fees must be used by organizations and/or departments to provide recreational, entertaining and/or culturally enriching programs or services which do not solely support academic programs.
- Student Life Fees may not fund scholarships, gifts, fundraising, or political parties.
- Organizations and/or departments may request a one-time allocation to be used for the sole purpose of purchasing items that would not be a part of on-going operations. These funds may not be used for anything other than what is approved. A Request for Funding Form must be submitted in a timely manner to access these funds. Funding is dependent upon availability of funds. Not all requests for money may be approved.
- The Student Life Budget and Fee Committee recommendations will be based on the following criteria:
- Attendance verification and participation at mandatory SGA meetings.
- Quality and completeness of the written proposal.
- How the fees will serve Dalton State students — In general, programs which serve larger numbers of students will receive stronger consideration than those which serve smaller numbers of students. Programs or activities which serve smaller numbers of students should provide exceptional advantages to the College; it is the responsibility of the proposer to make the case for why they should receive consideration.
- For organizations and/or departments who received Student Life Fees for the current year, the Budget Committee will look at how effectively the fees were spent to serve Dalton State students.
- How many students were served by programs and activities?
- What were the benefits of the programs and activities to students?
- How knowledgeable is the presenter about how funds were used?
- Were the funds used as they were approved by last year’s Student Life Budget and Fee Committee?
**More information on your tuition and student fees can be found at: http://dscweb.daltonstate.edu/bursar/tuition-and-fees.html