Georgia Film Academy
Georgia Film Academy
Welcome | Programs of Study | Faculty & Staff | Mission Statement
Dalton State is a member of the Georgia Film Consortium (GFC). The Georgia Film Academy (GFA) supports the GFC, which is a unique-in-the-nation, state-wide collaboration of institutions of the University System of Georgia, Technical College System of Georgia and independent institutions that offer professional courses in film, television, digital entertainment, Esports and game development.
Dalton State students who want to pursue a career in the film industry can earn an 18-hour professional certification from the Georgia Film Academy (GFA) while still enrolled at Dalton State. These 18 hours will apply to the B.A. in Communication or Associate of Arts in General Studies, Film Pathway. The programs are offered in the Department of Communication, Performing Arts and Foreign Languages.
About Georgia Film Academy
The Georgia Film Academy is a professional organization, a unit of the University System of Georgia, that is committed to leading and advancing the entertainment arts industry and its workforce in Georgia. The GFA promotes rigorous professional training and supports opportunities for union-covered film and television production craft internships and placement in creative industries, apprenticeships and jobs in an effort to build a permanent and sustainable industry in the state. On behalf of the USG, TCSG, and their institutions, as well as private higher education institutions in Georgia who choose to use its resources, the GFA is dedicated to the development of both Georgia’s workforce and the industry that will utilize it.
As a Dalton State student in the General Film Academy pathway program(s), you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Learn from professionals in the film, television and digital entertainment industries.
- Take classes at an industry hub facilitated with a package of professional-level equipment.
- Participate in on-set, hands-on experience and simulated “real world” projects, coupled with in-classroom course work
- Work hands-on with professional production equipment (cameras, sound gear, lights, etc.) as well as production trucks and generators on studio sound stages.
- Apply for an internship or apprenticeship on a major film production set, television studio, editing house or digital entertainment lab in order to develop recognized film credits, through partnerships with professional productions.
- Receive one-on-one job counseling to include resume preparation, job research and job placement outreach from GFA.
- Earn any of three Georgia Film Academy industry certifications, recognized by production companies, studios, networks, vendors and other entertainment businesses that may employ Georgians:
- Film & Television Production Certification
- Film & Television Post-Production Certification
- Digital Entertainment, Esports & Game Development Certification
For more information, visit Georgia Film Academy.
Courses offered at Dalton State College
You can start these classes in your sophomore year (or when you have earned 30 hours). You will travel to the Atlanta facilities of the GFC one day a week for each semester-long class. The courses offered by Dalton State College are listed below under each track. The Georgia Film Academy offers three "tracks' with specific classes for each:
The GFC semester schedule follows the eCore Common Academic Calendar. You will also be able to take other classes on campus or online during your GFC semesters.
To enroll in these classes or get more information, contact Dr. Barbara Tucker at 706-272-4411 or email@example.com.
For questions or more information about the Georgia Film Academy, please contact Academics Coordinator Emma Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Admissions (for prospective students)
- Associate of Arts in General Studies, Film Pathway
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication, Film Concentration
- Campus Police
- Dean of Students Office
- Disability Access
- Financial Aid
- Health and Wellness
- Library Services
- Loaned Laptops
- Office of Civil Rights – Atlanta Office, US Department of Education OCR.Atlanta@ed.gov
- Student Complaints
- Title IX at Dalton State
- Title IX Coordinator